Tell Congress: Support a new bill that can bring electricity to 50M ppl in Africa. #ElectrifyAfrica http://www.one.org/us/action/energy-poverty-petition/
Why is this such a big deal? Because in sub-Saharan Africa:
- Nearly 1/2 of sub-Saharan population won’t have access to power in 2030 without new efforts.
- 90 million sub-Saharan children have no electricity at school. 7
- 0% of businesses cite the lack of access to reliable power as a major constraint.
- 225 million sub-Saharans rely on health facilities that are without electricity.
- 7 out of 10 people don’t have access to electricity.
- Moms give birth in the dark.
- Families can’t refrigerate their food.
- Kids are forced to do their homework at night with just a candle or a flashlight.
Add your name to the ONE Petition and let our U.S. Representatives know that it’s time to electrify Africa today.
(Source: ONE and Photo credit: Practical Action)